The Global Oregon Initiative invites UO undergraduate students to apply for one of ten $500 research awards offered to support global education experiences (intensive study abroad, international internships, international research opportunities, participation in international events).
Global Oregon is an initiative of the Office of International Affairs-Global Studies Institute (gsi.uoregon.edu). It promotes internationalization in the student experience, in research, and in our outreach to the state and the world. Global Oregon is deliberately cross-regional and interdisciplinary, drawing together UO expertise on every world region and from many academic domains.
The Global Oregon Undergraduate Award is designed to help UO undergraduates become more globally engaged through international research or related projects that advance the student’s academic and professional goals. While awards are most commonly given to support research conducted outside the United States as part of an undergraduate honors thesis or other major written project, the review committee will consider other activities that engage the undergraduate in original investigation and analysis of significant international phenomena.
Proposals will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Clarity and effectiveness of presentation of the research project or other undertaking.
- Potential to advance the academic and professional development of the student.
- Applicant’s demonstrated academic success.
- Contribution to UO internationalization and to the overall Global Oregon mission.
- Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated financial need (e.g. Pell grant eligibility, Pathways Oregon, etc.).
- Award activities must take place between 1 May of the award year and 1 April of the following year.
- For applicants from outside the US, third country research is strongly preferred.
Each application must include the following:
- A completed Global Oregon Summer Travel Grant Application Form.
- A summary of research (500 word max)
- A current CV (2 pages, max)
- Current UO Transcripts.
- Statement of support from the applicant's adviser, emailed directly from the adviser to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for a Global Oregon Summer Travel Grant, candidates must submit a completed application electronically to email@example.com by: April 15. Awards will be announced by early May. Emergency off-cycle applications may be accepted on an ad hoc basis.