The Global Oregon Initiative invites UO graduate students to apply for one of five $2,000 research awards offered to support international research. Global Oregon is an initiative of the Office of International Affairs-Global Studies Institute. It promotes internationalization in the student experience, in research, and in our outreach to the state and the world. Global Oregon is deliberately cross-regional and interdisciplinary, drawing together UO expertise on every world region and from many academic domains.
The Global Oregon Graduate Research Award is designed to help UO graduate students conduct research for their theses, dissertation, or other appropriate projects that advance the academic and professional goals of students. While awards are most commonly given to support thesis or dissertation research conducted outside the United States, the review committee will consider other activities that engage the graduate student in original investigation and analysis of significant international phenomena.
Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Innovative contribution to student’s field of study.
- Clarity and effectiveness of project presentation.
- Appropriate engagement with and contribution to a relevant body of scholarly literature.
- Potential to advance the academic and professional development of the student.
- Contribution to UO internationalization & to the overall Global Oregon mission.
- Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated financial need.
- Award activities must take place between May 1st of the award year and April 1st of the following year.
- For applicants outside the US, third country research is strongly preferred.
Each application must include the following:
- Completed Global Oregon Summer Travel Grant Application Form.
- Summary of research (500 words max.).
- Current CV (2 pages, max.).
- Current UO transcripts.
- Statement of support from the applicant's adviser, emailed directly from the adviser to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for a Global Oregon Summer Travel Grant, candidates must submit a completed application electronically to email@example.com by: April 15. Awards will be announced by early May.